Sunday, September 9, 2007

Baseball


My husband, Tim, is turning 28 on Wednesday. Today we had a big family birthday party for him. We did a "Field of Dreams" theme - the guys all played baseball in the afternoon, followed by dinner with baseball park food, then watched the movie.

After an inexplicable failed cake mix, I decided to make a cookie cake. This is actually 2 cookie cakes with marshmallows sandwiched in between. After baking & cooling both cakes, I topped one with marshmallows and popped it under the broiler until they were gooey, then flipped the second cookie on top. The "dirt" is graham cracker crumbs; the "bases" are white chocolate covered fig newtons. The 2 yellow candles in the corners are foul poles. The baseball gloves around the perimeter are just candies I found at Wal-Mart. Oh, and the baseball in the field is actually a styrofoam ball. I set it on a glass and frosted the top 2/3 of it. I then put it in the freezer for a couple of hours. When I took it out, I flipped it upside-down on the cake and frosted the rest. It worked pretty well!

Tim really liked it and has told me he wants a baseball field cake every year....Amanda

2 comments:

Two Sisters' Cakes said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stange Family said...

I'm so impressed!!! It looks fantastic!